When choosing that ideal career that you wish to pursue, there is a whole lot that a person takes into account. Obviously, it needs to be something that interests you, that you have the required skills in, and hopefully, it has a robust outlook. The last thing you want to do is put all your eggs into one basket and into a career or industry that is dying and won’t offer you the kind of future you’re after.
While the field of automotive engineering is growing, its growth rate is much smaller than that of the national average. Predicted to grow by just 1% annually, one can hardly call it a boom. Now that’s not to say there aren’t jobs to be found; it’s just that it may be time to look at little closer and find ways to make yourself that much more employable.
This is exactly where the internet can prove to be your best tool. Did you know that you can use the internet in a number of different ways to help you land a job in advanced automotive engineering, which is an area that actually is growing and showing plenty of promise? Let’s take a closer look.
Start with an Educational Foundation Online
Where it used to be that in order to obtain any kind of degree, you would be forced to attend a campus in-person, often uprooting your life and spending a small fortune in the process, today’s high-learning landscape has changed drastically. Today, you can find all kinds of cutting-edge degree programs online, allowing you to take advantage of lower tuition fees, the ability to work from home, and even keep a full or part-time job in the process.
But it’s not just any old engineering program that you’ll want to look into. The internet is now home to the first of its kind where a specific program is concerned.
The masters in electrical and computer engineering ECE-Advanced Mobility online program through Kettering University is getting some serious attention, and for good reason. Touted as the first of its kind, this is a “ground-breaking” online program that will shape the very future of automotive engineering and advanced mobility.
So what makes this program through Kettering so unique? There are a number of standout features:
- The program integrates computer and electrical systems meant for advanced mobility applications and autonomous vehicles
- The emphasis is on advanced mobility applications for transportation systems, electric and hybrid vehicles, autonomous vehicles, robotics, and AI
- You will learn how to design dynamic systems for today’s and future applications
- Robotics and AI are also a key feature
The program is anything but standard and average, and instead is helping students to prepare for the changing future. It is an advanced engineering degree that is done completely online in as little as 24 months. This kind of program is exactly what you need to give you that leg-up on the competition and the kind of skills you need to land a job.
Research Potential Employers Online
Another way the internet can help you land your dream job is that you can actually figure out what potential employers are looking for. How do you craft the perfect resume and nail that interview if you don’t even know what these employers want and need? Experts always recommend you spend time researching potential employers before you even apply to a posting.
So what should you look for when researching potential companies/employers? Use this as your checklist:
- The company culture
- What kind of schooling/education is required
- The exact job description
- How many people are employed by the company
- What are the most common jobs they are looking to fill
- Will you most likely only qualify for entry-level positions
- Do they promote from within
- Where is the company located
- Does it have more than one location
These are all key questions you should be researching as you look for that “ideal” employer.
Familiarize Yourself with the Stats and Trends
The internet is also an excellent source of information where statistics and trends are concerned. If you have your eye on advanced automotive engineering, use the internet to read up on relevant news releases, white papers, and forums. The more information you can gather, the more well-rounded you will be. It can also help you to figure out where to place your main emphasis and efforts.
Make Use of Online Resume Writing Services
Another avenue you can pursue is the many online resume writing services that exist. Just because you’ve got your degree in advanced automotive engineering and you’re well prepared to take on a job in the industry, it doesn’t mean you can write a killer resume. You obviously want to craft something that is precise, eye-catching, and will ensure you get that all-important interview.
When looking for a resume writing service some of the key features to watch for include:
- Experience writing resumes in your specific industry
- The service takes a personalized approach rather than a one-size-fits all resume
- The ability to look at the first draft and request edits, free of charge
- The option to have a cover letter template created
- Fast turnaround time
- Ask to see samples
You’re paying for the service, so you want to be sure you’re happy with it.
Take Full Advantage of Online Job Boards
One of the best ways the internet can help you land a job in advanced automotive engineering is the online job boards. These seem to exist in abundance at the moment, so you’ll want to take the time to find those that appeal specifically to your chosen industry.
Some tips to keep in mind when using these online job boards include:
- Apply to the newest listings first
- Don’t put off applying because jobs tend to get snapped up fast
- Make use of the niche, smaller job sites that are industry-specific
- If the site allows you to post your resume, do so
- Make use of job alerts so you’ll know when new postings go up
The Internet Has Transformed How People Land a Job
To say the internet has transformed how people land a job is truly an understatement. From the way you get your education and degree to how you apply to jobs, it has all taken a much more high-tech and immersive approach.